Who on keto hasn’t been like, “man, I want pizza… not just the toppings, but the texture.” Well, this recipe, although it’s not exactly like pizza still (I know, I know), IT’S SOOOO CLOSE TO THAT BITE! My husband Kev and I love these and as long as you can do dairy, you too can do these and they aren’t that hard.
Tools and prep:
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- GENEROUSLY grease a 12 cup metal muffin pan
- Medium sized sauté pan
- Hand mixer
- Big mixing bowl
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped up (8oz total)
- 1/4 of a red onion sliced thin and 12 small slices set aside for garnish (1oz total)
- 1/4 of a green bell pepper sliced and 12 small slices set aside for garnish (2oz total)
- 1 TBSP red chili flakes
- 1 TBSP garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 2 oz uncured pork pepperoni chopped and 12 small pieces set aside for garnish
- Salt as you go (usually around a teaspoon or two goes into my pizza muffins)
- 5 large eggs
- 5 oz full fat cream cheese at room temp
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided in half
- Preheat oven to 400°F and generously grease a 12 cup metal muffin pan with lard, butter, coconut oil, or olive oil.
- Heat olive oil on medium high heat in your sauté pan and cook tomatoes, red onion, green bell pepper, red chili flakes, garlic powder, and pepperoni, stirring often. Be sure to sprinkle some salt, stir, taste, and salt more if you like!
- Meanwhile, use the hand mixer to blend eggs and cream cheese in your large bowl until well-incorporated.
- Don’t forget to stir your veggie-pepperoni mix in the pan so it doesn’t burn!
- Mix coconut flour, almond meal, baking soda, half the mozzarella, and another sprinkle of salt into the egg-cream cheese mixture until well incorporated and looks like batter.
- Turn off the heat in the pan in your veggie-pepperoni mixture when the water from the tomatoes is reduced. Dump the whole situation into your batter and mix very well.
- Scoop your pizza muffin batter into prepared muffin tin until evenly distributed. It will be pretty full with about a 1/4 inch left at the top of each cup.
- Add the remainder of your shredded mozzarella to the top of each cup, tamping down slightly. Place on each cup 1 pepperoni, 1 tiny onion slice, and 1 tiny green bell pepper slice.
- Bake for 30-35 mins until golden on top.
- Let them cool for about 5 mins. Use the back of a fork to remove from the muffin pan or just dump them out upside down onto a clean surface.
- EAT THEM HOT!!
I like to eat them with sour cream ranch dip but I know there’s a debate as to whether to eat pizza with ranch or not.
Yields 12 muffins.
Nutrition for 1 muffin:
- Kcal: 176
- Fat: 15g
- Total carbs: 5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 8g